Although the Stanley family had been Lords of the Manor in Alderley since 1437, it wasn’t until the mid 16th century that Sir Thomas Stanley rebuilt the Old Hall, previously belonging to the Arderne family, and made it his main residence. After a disastrous fire in 1779, the family moved to Park House at the southern end of the park.

This CD gives an insight into their homes, the development of Alderley Park and full details of the estate sale in 1938 and its after effects in the area.

It also includes the Stanley’s Welsh connections, the inheritance of Penrhos, Anglesey and their influence in the restoration of three Welsh churches, including St.Cybi’s Church, Holyhead.