1ST LORD STANLEY’S EFFIGY
The tomb, on which the effigy of the 1st Lord Stanley lies, is attached to the south wall in a canopied gothic recess.
The recumbent figure clothed in peer’s robes rests on a basket-weave patterned blanket rolled under the pillow decorated with oak leaves and acorns on which his head rests.
The inscription is flanked by two shields containing the arms of Stanley of Alderley on the left and Stanley impaling Holroyd on the right. Both shields have the baronets badge, and are surmounted by a baron’s coronet.Both inscriptions are in medium 19th c. Gothic lettering, gouged and painted in red and black, now fading.
The sculptor was Richard Westmacott the younger. (1799 – 1872). His work includes the marble fireplaces at Chatsworth House. His father was Sir Richard Westmacott (1775 – 1856) who sculpted the monuments of Pitt and Fox in Westminster Abbey.