The oak frame dates from at least 1787 when the new ring of 6 bells were installed and it is very likely that some of the timbers came from a much earlier frame.
An appreciable load is put on the frame and approximately 100 years ago a report was written that stated a new bell frame was desirable. By the mid 1990’s it was realised that a new frame had become inevitable.
English Heritage opposed the removal of the old frame due to its historical importance so in the year 2000 the bells were taken down and temporally stored in the Mausoleum. The old wooden frame was then raised nearer the roof of the tower and a new steel frame was fitted below.
After the bells were re-hung the old frame was lowered to rest on the new steel one where it will remain as an historic item of St.Mary’s Church.
If you are interested in joining the team at St.Mary’s or would like any other information please email firstname.lastname@example.org