This is a 14th C window of three lights. The first is of St. John, the centre light is of St. Mary and the third light is of St.Lawrence.
The 13th C was a time of great veneration of the church’s martyrs. Hence the original dedication of this church to St. Lawrence. He is seen in the window holding the grid iron on which he was burned in Rome in 258AD. The dedication changed to St. Mary around the time of the Reformation
The glass was designed and built by Clayton Bell in 1880. They were one of the most prolific and proficient workshops of English stained glass during the latter half of the 19th C.
Inscribed on a bronze plaque on the sill is:
‘To the Glory of God – In memory of Emmeline Bickham, of this parish.
Died 31st January 1880.
Emmeline Bickham was married to Spencer Henry Bickham who was a Cotton Card Manufacturer. The came to Alderley from Dunham Massey sometime in the 1870’s and lived at Oakwood. Oakwood was one of the Alderley Edge Villas that had been built on the Stanley ‘tongue’ of land and it was therefore in the parish of Nether Alderley. Spencer remarried a local girl in this church a year later.