2ND LORD STANLEY’S EFFIGY
The sculpture of this effigy was George Nelson from London (1822 – 1905).
The recumbent figure clothed in peers’ robes rests on a blanket and pillow carved in stone with his head at the east end. In his left hand he holds a scroll. A dog lies at his feet.
On the side of the effigy is a metal plaque, which is surrounded by Cosmati mosaic decoration. The plaque is finely engraved with figures of the mourning family. His widow supports three young children all of whom died young. One of these holds a spray of lilies which are white enamel.
Four sons attired according to their profession stand with a Labrador dog to the right of Lady Stanley. Five daughters, each with their coat of arms in enamel attached to their gowns, stand to the left of their mother. (see) Stanley Memorial Window